Cop Who Killed and Shot 17 Year Old Laquan McDonald 16 Times Gets Prosecuted 2 Years Later! - R.City Unlimited

Latest News

Cop Who Killed and Shot 17 Year Old Laquan McDonald 16 Times Gets Prosecuted 2 Years Later!

Cook County prosecutors said in court Tuesday that a Chicago police officer charged with first-degree murder opened fire six seconds after exiting his squad car as 17-year-old Laquan McDonald was walking away from him.
Officer Jason Van Dyke fired 16 rounds at McDonald in about 14 seconds and was reloading when another officer told him to hold his fire, prosecutors said in bond court.
Herbert said Van Dyke's wife will be turning over his gun to the Police Department. Van Dyke, 37, turned himself in to state’s attorney's investigators at 7:41 a.m. Tuesday in their offices at the criminal courthouse at 26th Street and California Avenue, booking records show. As he arrived, Van Dyke kept his hands in his jeans pockets, looked straight ahead and did not answer questions from reporters as he walked briskly into the Leighton Criminal Court Building with his attorney.
Van Dyke is charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of McDonald "without legal justification and with the intent to kill or do great bodily harm," according to the one-page criminal complaint filed against him.
Meanwhile, Van Dyke’s wife, Tiffany, set up a GoFundMe page asking for online donations for her husband’s bond. Although the page did not mention her husband by name, it described him as a 15-year veteran officer "fighting for his freedom and justice."
"He is a highly decorated and respected officer," Tiffany Van Dyke wrote. "He was in a shooting that has been covered extensively by the media and we ask for your patience for all the facts to come out in the trial. We want him to be home with his family as we go through this judicial process."


The page asked for donations "very quickly" so Van Dyke can pay whatever bond is set and he can be home for the holidays.
As of 11 a.m. Tuesday, donors, mostly anonymous, had given more than $10,000 of the $80,000 sought. The page also had attracted a number of negative comments, and shortly after 11 a.m. it was taken down.
The dash-cam video shows Van Dyke jumping out of his squad car and within seconds firing 16 rounds into McDonald, lawyers for McDonald's family have said.
After the first few shots knocked McDonald to the ground, Van Dyke fired another volley that struck the African-American teen repeatedly as his body lay in almost a fetal position on the ground, according to the lawyers.
Police said McDonald, who had PCP in his system when he died, was behaving erratically and refusing police commands to drop a 4-inch folding knife. The police union has maintained that the officer fired in fear for his life because the teen lunged at him and his partner with the knife. Van Dyke's lawyer also has said the officer, who is white, feared for his life.
Van Dyke has been on paid desk duty since the incident.
The case would mark the first time a Chicago police officer has been charged with first-degree murder for an on-duty fatality in nearly 35 years. Van Dyke would face a minimum of 20 years in prison if convicted of the first-degree murder charge.
Federal authorities continue to investigate whether Van Dyke violated McDonald's civil rights protecting him from excessive force by the police. A federal grand jury has heard testimony from dozens of witnesses over the course of several months.
The city lost its court fight last week to keep the video under wraps when the judge ruled in favor of freelance journalist Brandon Smith, who sued under the state's open records law.
Lawyers for McDonald's family, who won a $5 million settlement from the city even before filing a lawsuit, have said Van Dyke emptied his Smith & Wesson 9 mm semi-automatic handgun. None of the five other officers at the scene fired a shot, according to city officials.
McDonald's autopsy found that he was shot once on each side of his chest and suffered single bullet wounds in the scalp and neck, two in his back, seven in his arms, one in his right hand and two in his right leg. According to the report, nine of the 16 entrance wounds had a downward or slightly downward trajectory.
The Tribune in April first revealed that Van Dyke was the officer who shot and killed McDonald after city officials refused to disclose his identity, citing a provision in the union contract that bars the city from identifying officers unless they are convicted of a crime or the police board rules on their case. Police stripped him of his police powers and put him on paid desk duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
According to police and court records, Van Dyke joined the department in 2001 and spent more than four years with a specialized unit — since disbanded by police Superintendent Garry McCarthy — that aggressively went into neighborhoods experiencing spikes in violent crimes.
In his private meetings with ministers and aldermen, and a brief interaction with reporters, Emanuel sought to frame the issue as the actions of one bad officer.
"What happened here is wrong. There is no justification and it's profoundly hideous, in my view," Emanuel told ministers in a one-way, six-minute conference call during which the ministers were unable to ask questions. "And it's a shock to your conscience of what happened, and it should not have happened."
Later, Emanuel told reporters he had not seen the video but his assertion was that the officer had violated the public trust.
"One individual needs to be held accountable. They need to be held accountable for what they've done," Emanuel said. "And as I've said before, now that the judge has made the decision, I would like to see the prosecutors wrap up their investigation and make a decision, so we can go as a city and begin the process of healing." Read more HERE.

RELATED STORY: Did ISIS Have Something to do With the 2015 Paris Attack?

No comments:

Post a Comment

R.City Unlimited Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.